For over 25 years The Names Family Foundation (NFF) has been promoting health and wellness in Pierce County through supporting physical education and athletics. Recent growth has seen annual grantmaking increasing to over $5 million and we are looking to hire an Executive Director to support our activities. Desired qualities include self-starter and team player, ability to communicate with differing stakeholders; passion for athletics, physical education and healthy communities; commitment to volunteerism and community service; familiarity with Pierce County.
- Grit/hard work/scrappy/pragmatic
- Joy of athletics—playing and spectating
- Humbleness/not flashy/grace
- Giving back/stewardship/sharing with heart/intention to serve
- Importance of family & family interconnectedness
We seek to hire an experienced executive with demonstrated experience managing a venture and team with multiple stakeholders. The ideal candidate will manifest the integrity & character to represent and move forward NFF values in the community. S/he will demonstrate the flexibility & grace needed to work with multiple stakeholders including 3 family branch funds and the engagement of multiple generations in the work of the foundation. NFF’s staff structure currently also includes a Grants & Program Manager & Executive Assistant.
Strong candidates will have interest and experience in working at NFF current organizational stage of expansion and develop processes to manage growth in giving and increased community awareness and expectations. S/he will be solution-oriented and a self-starter who is inspired by the mission of the Foundation to support health and wellness in Pierce County through athletics and physical fitness.
Need to have
- Demonstrated competence and experience managing a venture and team with multiple stakeholders.
- A demonstrated track record of community leadership and commitment to service, humility, integrity, and transparency.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead an organization, to oversee organizational budgets and operations, and to work effectively with an engaged board of directors.
- Results-oriented with the ability to set and follow realistic goals and objectives.
- Comfortable working in a developmental growth phase where innovation and iteration helps develop systems and solutions.
- Can-do optimism and respect for differing ways of achieving the same goal essential to maintain level of fun and engagement for board and family members.
- Initiative to access peer networks of grantmakers to find solutions and workarounds and avoid reinventing the wheel.
- Willingness and comfort to engage with evolving and shifting job duties.
Good Communicator & Collaborator
- Represent NFF values in community—dependable; humble; energetic; collaborative
- Skill at developing processes to manage growth in giving and increased community expectations.
- Able to respond to the multiple leads and work styles common to family foundation dynamics.
- Able to share with grantees and general public stories of NFF and its three family branch funds.
- Experience building and leading staff and partnering with a board to translate a vision into clearly defined priorities and results in keeping with organizational values.
Nice to have
Philanthropic Sector Fluency
- Previous experience working with the nonprofit and philanthropic sector
- Previous experience working with family office, or multiple generations of a family
Passion for Athletics, Physical Fitness, Healthy Communities
- Demonstrated interest and experience with athletics and physical fitness
- Background understanding of community and public health
Familiarity with Pierce County
- Networks and contacts within Pierce County preferred
- Ability to work with both urban and rural organizations and communities
- Demonstrated commitment to volunteerism and community service
Organization Management and Administration
- Oversees general administration of the Foundation, including financial systems (in coordination with board treasurer), human resources, budget preparation and reporting, information systems and office policies and procedures
- Acts as media contact, prepare communications materials about the Foundation, and respond to inquiries about NFF’s mission, program areas, and grantmaking process
- Keeps abreast of the legal and regulatory issues related to foundation and the non-profit sector, and ensure that NFF operates accordingly
Program and Grantmaking
- Works with the board to establish NFF’s general grantmaking focus and priorities
- Oversee NFF’s annual grantmaking processes, including timely review and analysis of proposals and ongoing monitoring and evaluation of grant budgets and grant awards
- Collaborates, with staff and board, to continue to develop a learning and evaluation framework of its grantmaking portfolios and shares out learning with board members and the community at-large.
- Assesses program goals, grantmaking outcomes and efficiencies on an annual basis and makes recommendations to strengthen the grantmaking process and program strategies.
Community Engagement and Partnership
- Serves as NFF’s principal representative to the community and the local and regional nonprofit community
- Cultivates, develops and maintains relationships with community partners, and key stakeholders.
- Encourages partnerships and collaboration among grantees and other key stakeholders to increase effective responses to community issues.
- Represents NFF at professional meetings and events, serves on other organizations’ committees and boards where such service will benefit NFF, and as approved by the board.
Board Relations and Development
- Manages and reports to the board on the operations of NFF, including finance & accounting, technology, taxes, human resources, communications, and legal issues.
- Works with NFF board committees to provide insight and guidance of its investment portfolio.
- Helps identify topics to be addressed at board meetings and assists the Chair in organizing meetings of the board
- Supports the board of directors in its governance functions.
SALARY & BENEFITS
The salary for this position is competitive with other family foundation leadership positions and will also depend on experience and qualifications. Benefits include medical and dental. Position is based in Fircrest, Washington and will occasionally require travel.
HOW TO APPLY
Names Family Foundation has retained The Giving Practice to conduct the candidate search.
If you believe you are the right match for this opportunity, please apply by uploading your cover letter and resume through this online portal.
If you have any issues with submitting your application, please contact The Giving Practice at TGPsearch @philanthropynw.org
Application deadline is March 30, 2020. The preferred start date for this position is early June 2020.
Names Family Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, disability, marital status, veteran status, political affiliation, or any other factor protected by law.